Friday, September 25, 2009

Just Jasmine




We were there under the big maple tree in silent mode. No sound came out of our mouths, no voice can be heard. The rustling of leaves on the tree branches gave a more serene atmosphere, one that we really needed. One by one, the dry, orange leaves gently feel from the branches and danced with the wind. Two robins playfully made a nest out of a little twigs, hopping around, finding the right place for the right twig. They happily chirped and sang a joyful song. A monarch butterfly rested itself on one of the Jasmine flowers growing by the huge, fat roots of the tree. It didn't seem to mind of our presence and calmly fluttered around with its beautiful wings. Then another monarch butterfly came and accompanied the first one. After a while, they flew away, leaving the Jasmine flower alone once more. The soft breeze made it lean on one of the roots, as if looking for protection for the breeze might blow it away, but the root was there, becoming a guide, becoming a source of safety...becoming a friend. Perhaps the Jasmine flower was happy in the presence of the root, because when the breeze had gone, it continued leaning onto it.

As I was watching these simple things, a few of my thoughts came into my mind. Why am I here, beside Bill?We didn't talk of coming here at all. For some reason, as I was reading my book in my room, I felt the sudden urge to look outside. When I did, I saw the big maple tree in the park. It was so huge that the branches could cover two of the rooms in my house. Suddenly, I felt I needed to go and have a trip down memory lane...

"Zhengzhou!" one small boy's voice screamed at me while I was trying to figure out who's with him. It was Bill, and he's wearing his bright blue cap again. He looked so small for a nine-year-old. "Zhengzhou, c'mon'! I'm gonna show you something!"

"Alright, Alright! Wait for me!" I shouted back. Then I ran down the stairs and felt daddy's big arm scooping me up. "Where's my little princess going?" he asked as he pressed his nose to mine.

"Same old tree, Dad," I replied. "Bill told me he's gonna show me something. And I think it's important."

He put me down and said, "Oh, c'mon, everything about Bill is important for you."

"Of course, Dad," I answered, he's my best est friend. Well, gotta go, bye!" I rushed out of the door and ran towards Bill, who was making a sour face. "What took you so long?" he asked.

"I just had a small chit-chat with daddy," I answered. Then we took each others hands and walked to the park, which was only three houses away from my home.

When we got near the maple tree, Bill pulled me and said, "There it is! I can see it!"
As we went near, I saw little clusters of white Jasmine flowers. For a girl like me, seeing flowers grow from nowhere was a delight. "Ooh... they're so pretty, I said.

Bill cleared his throat, bite his lips once again as he usually do and stood up." According to my reliable source," he said, then he leaned towards me and whispered,"that would be my momma," I giggled, and he winked. He continued,"According to my reliable source, these pretty things are called Jasmine flowers. They are called as such because they're pretty, simple and scented, and because my momma doesn't know where they came from. But they're pretty, aren't they.

I looked back at the Jasmine flowers and said, "I hope they bloom forever. I hope they make lots of flowers, and then the butterflies will come and sit on them and suck honey or whatever we call from them." Then I looked back at little Bill and said, "Thanks for not picking them, Bill.That's so sweet of you," Then I leaned over to his cheek and gave him a smack. I saw his cheeks and ears turn red as he said, "Awe,shucks," Then we sat down under the tree, holding hands, my head leaning on his shoulder. I remember him whisper to me, saying, " I hope we become like the Jasmine flowers, so we can be friends forever."

Back to the present,I suddenly felt myself putting on my sneakers and running towards the big, old, maple tree. It has had longer and larger branches now. The Jasmine flowers were still there. Even after ten years, the feeling of warmth and security was present in the midst of the rustling leaves. Then I saw a familiar figure move, resting his head on the tree, a blade of grass in his mouth.

"Hi, Bill,"

he looked up at me and smiled. "Hi, Zhengzhou," Then he sat up straight and pulled me towards him. I sat beside him, put his head on my shoulder and held his hand. The breeze gently stroked my cheeks and I felt like sleeping. Then a poke on my arm woke me up. Bill pointed at the Jasmine flowers. They still have the bright yellow and white color that they had when we first saw them bloom. He whispered, "Screw them,"

His statement surprised me. He saw my reaction and said, "I don't care if they die. As long as we're still friends, that's all that matters." Then he kissed my forehead and leaned on my head. I just smiled.

We were there under the big maple tree in silent mode. We didn't need to talk anymore. His presence was enough for me.

Followers